3 Area Tile Cleaning
Floor tiles, particularly ceramic floor tiles are made from refined clay and usually glazed with a glass coating. The porous sealant that is used to fill the gaps between the ceramic tiles is called Grout. In this article tile and grout cleaning tips are given to help you.
Ceramic Floor tile Cleaning Tips
Generally the glazed ceramic floor tiles are cleaned daily with a damp mop and warm water. At times they can be mopped with water and detergent solution. Tiles are given a through rinsing to remove any detergent residue. Mildly abrasive scouring powder can be used on unglazed tiles. But an abrasive cleanser may cause scratches in glazed tiles.
It is quite common that a buildup of soap scum is seen on bathroom floor tiles. To clean those 2 tablespoons rottenstone is mixed with Â½ c. packaged water softener. When this mixture is sponged on the soap scum it comes off right away. Alternatively a solution of 2 tablespoons of tri-sodium phosphate mixed with a gallon of hot water may be used. Finally the tiles thoroughly rinsed.
Tiles normally become dark with stains. To remove those cover them with liquid laundry detergent and let it soak for about 3 hours. Sponge off the detergent with warm water. Stains can be scrubbed with a scrub brush. Final rinsing is always good.
Water mixed with chlorine bleach is used to remove the mildew from ceramic floor tiles. A soft bristled brush may be used to let bleach water solution go into the grout joints. After a final rinse the floor may be treated with mildew retardant household spray to ward of further growth.
- Stains like coffee, ink, blood, mustard etc can be removed by using chlorine bleach. Bleach water solution is applied on the stains and allowed to be on them for about 10 minutes. Finally the floor is rinsed with clean water
- Grease on the ceramic floor tiles can be removed by using a solution of water and 10 percent sodium carbonate
- Rust stains on unglazed tiles can be removed with a solution of 5 percent hydrochloric acid
- To clean up a nail polish spill, soak a paper towel in nail polish remover and lay it on the spill for about 5 minutes. Then scrape the softened polish off
- Steel wool is used to remove mild cigarette burn.
Using felt pads on the feet of furniture legs prevent scratching the floor tiles.
When vacuum cleaning the ceramic tiles watch out for metal or plastic attachments.
Grout Cleaning Tips
Half hydrogen peroxide half water solution can be used to clean white grout. The solution is sprayed on to the floor and let be there for about 15 minutes. The solution is sprayed again.
As peroxide is bleach, it can not be used on colored grout as it may remove the color.
FOR MORE INFORMATION,
PLEASE CONTACT US OR CALL US AT:
Concentrated peroxide is applied directly on the heavy stains. Alternatively mixture of peroxide and baking soda can be used. More peroxide may be sprayed as it dries out.
Shaving cream may be used to clean colored grout. Test this on a little spot before applying it to the entire area. After the stains get removed you need to re apply a coating of sealer.
Home made Tile and Grout Cleaner
Take the following ingredients.
- 1/3 cup of ammonia
- Â½ cup of baking soda
- Â¼ cup of white vinegar
- 7 cups of water
Mix them in a spray bottle and shake it. Simply spray this mixture and wipe with a damp cloth or sponge. Rinsing is not necessary. This home made tile and grout cleaner works well on soap scum and tile counters. But this solution can not be used together with chlorine bleach.
Grout Cleaning Tips
- Prepare a solution for cleaning. For that mix one half cup of mild detergent with 2 gallons of water.
- Apply the solution on a small area
- Scrub the grout joins between the tiles
- Soak the liquid up and dry it with a terry towel
Repeat this procedure for the next small area and go on.
Some floor types can not be made wet heavily. To clean such floor types you need to follow the instructions given from the manufacturer.